Skip to main content

Super Mom

It's almost two months later and I still haven't mailed the Thank You cards from Emersyn & Everly's first birthday! We are going to their one year well check at 14 months old! I used to be on top of things like this. After my firstborn's birthday parties, I'd have the thank you cards out within the following week and he went to his well-check appointments at the exact age that he was supposed to. 

This last year having added twins to the bunch has been a learning experience. Not just learning to care for two, but I've also had to let go of the OCD side of myself and let some things go. It's okay if things don't go exactly as planned. It's okay if my dishes wait until morning. It's okay if my girls' clothes are not organized by sleeve length and size or that laundry is piled high. Don't get me wrong as I'll never use my kids as an excuse to let my house fall apart, but I know that if I don't get to something right away, it's okay.  

Some that know me will be surprised to hear me admit to these things as I've always tried to be my own version of Super Mom with spotless floors, everything organized and in its place, laundry on schedule and you name it! I'm not perfect. I have flaws. And sometimes you may ask me something to which I will respond with "I forgot" because I truly did forget, even though it's written in my planner that I pack everywhere. 

If I don't text you or call you back right away, it's because I try to disconnect from my phone and really focus on my family. But just know that I will get back to you even if it's not until the following day. I may have picked up the phone to call you back, but then one of my girls fell down or one is after the dog food bowl again or Rhylan is down the hall yelling for mommy! 

I love this crazy life! And I am still Super Mom, but with a brand new cape where I have learned to focus on what really matters, let the little things go and enjoy these little moments. And just for the record, I'm working on those Thank You cards! :-)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Sitting Down?

That's the very question, I've asked anyone close to me before breaking our news. So are you sitting down?  Let's go back three days ago - 9:30 in the morning, I confidently walked into my doctor's office to talk about my 2nd pregnancy. I mean what was there to worry about? This isn't my first rodeo, ya know. I was cool, confident and collected. I was 9 weeks and 5 days along. I sat through the routine questions. You know, the ones where they ask you if you do club drugs? I talked to my doctor about what I've been experiencing, including frequent nausea and unbearable fatigue that literally knocks me out by 7:30 pm. I had already gained 8 pounds, which was shocking, because I've been eating well and working out. But the doctor was not concerned with that and said, "Let's take a look at your little one ."  I was so anxious to see that little bean with a flickering heart ever since I got that positive pregnancy test! So this was the moment,...

Shock - Acceptance - Excitement

I really want to share my thoughts during this journey for anyone who may have been in my shoes. And to reassure them that what they are feeling is perfectly normal (at least that's what I tell myself). Everyone handles big news differently. I chose to freak out and panic! Others are more like what you see on TV!  Either way, welcome to our crazy journey!  The next day, I walked into work and decided to let the big news out. I mean anyone walking by my desk must wonder what's going on. What they normally see is a woman who takes pride in her appearance. That day, that got a completely different version of me; makeup-less, sleep deprived and frightened. I'm having (choke) twins!  I decided to show the ultrasound photo of my babies (still getting used to saying and hearing babies). I was immediately swept up in excitement and joy! They could not have been happier for me. This is where I started to feel the tiniest bit better. They were thinking of names and talking a...

10 Years

It goes without saying that a lot can change in just 10 (short) years. It's been 10 years since I graduated high school. It's made me really reflect on my life thus far and how I'm nowhere near the person I was back then. Back then I set huge goals for myself:  1. Go to College 2. Find a Husband 3. Travel the World 4. Get Married 5. Find a Career 6. Start a Family  I came from a small town full of people who either thought they were better than you, a class full of peers who always fought, several teachers who put us down instead of encouraging and a school board full of well-connected parents. All of that equals a recipe for disaster. It's had an effect on me that weighs well into my adult years. I tell people how much I disliked high school and they just can't believe it. Let me tell you how it has shaped me as a person and a parent.  I'm taking you back to my sophomore year. The assignment was to research colleges. This assignment excited me a...