Skip to main content

It's Not Just a Name

This has been weighing on my mind lately. Let's talk baby names. Not that you can copyright a name, but if you are like me, you spent a lot of time and even a sleepless night or two thinking about what to name your new baby to be. You want it to be unique, original and in my case uncommon. 

Rhylan, Emersyn and Everly. My babies. The names that I put so much thought into. As a mom, it's not just a name. It's something so special to you, because you put so much thought into that perfect name. 

I feel like there should be some kind of mom code. Listen. I know that it's impossible to have the only Rhylan, Emersyn and Everly on the planet. Thanks to Pinterest, many names will take off and start trending. As a matter of fact, I have started to see and hear the name Everly popping up more and more. But what about when someone you know or in my case once knew, names their children the same thing?

When I first heard they named their first born son Rhylan, I lost sleep. They were still in the picture when my Rhylan was born. I can still hear her saying how cute he was. We still have mutual friends even. Why would you want a name that matches someone you are still mutually connected to. Why not be original? 

I was able to let that go. Until....

Baby number two. They have named their second born Emersyn! EMERSYN! What are the freaking odds? So I'm assuming the third will be Everly? I guess we won't know until that time comes. 

At least spell them differently or something? Next time we cross paths (because we will), what on earth am I supposed to say? Cute names? 

Tell me moms, am I crazy for being upset about this? Like I said, it's not just a name. It is something so special to a mom. Am I the only one who tried to pick a name that was different from anyone I know or once knew? And what on earth do I say to them next time we cross paths? 

Perhaps I should be flattered, but I'm truly not. Thank you very much for taking something so personal to me and calling it your own. You're welcome I guess.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Sitting Down?

That's the very question, I've asked anyone close to me before breaking our news. So are you sitting down?  Let's go back three days ago - 9:30 in the morning, I confidently walked into my doctor's office to talk about my 2nd pregnancy. I mean what was there to worry about? This isn't my first rodeo, ya know. I was cool, confident and collected. I was 9 weeks and 5 days along. I sat through the routine questions. You know, the ones where they ask you if you do club drugs? I talked to my doctor about what I've been experiencing, including frequent nausea and unbearable fatigue that literally knocks me out by 7:30 pm. I had already gained 8 pounds, which was shocking, because I've been eating well and working out. But the doctor was not concerned with that and said, "Let's take a look at your little one ."  I was so anxious to see that little bean with a flickering heart ever since I got that positive pregnancy test! So this was the moment,...

Shock - Acceptance - Excitement

I really want to share my thoughts during this journey for anyone who may have been in my shoes. And to reassure them that what they are feeling is perfectly normal (at least that's what I tell myself). Everyone handles big news differently. I chose to freak out and panic! Others are more like what you see on TV!  Either way, welcome to our crazy journey!  The next day, I walked into work and decided to let the big news out. I mean anyone walking by my desk must wonder what's going on. What they normally see is a woman who takes pride in her appearance. That day, that got a completely different version of me; makeup-less, sleep deprived and frightened. I'm having (choke) twins!  I decided to show the ultrasound photo of my babies (still getting used to saying and hearing babies). I was immediately swept up in excitement and joy! They could not have been happier for me. This is where I started to feel the tiniest bit better. They were thinking of names and talking a...

Seize the....Target Store?

Last weekend, I had the itch for a day trip. So along with my momma, we packed up my three kiddos and headed out of town to do some shopping. Now let me just say that in the morning as I got the kids fed, bathed and dressed; as I loaded up the car with anything that we could potentially need on our day out, my conscience told me to stay home. I should've listened...Target is just not the same with three little kids in tow. Here's a breakdown of Target with two toddlers and a five year old.  Rhylan: "Mom can we please go to the toys?"  Me: "You have to be a good boy through the entire store and then we will go visit the toys last."  Five seconds pass.... Rhylan: "Mom can we please go to the toys?"  Me: "You have to be a good boy through the entire store and then we will go visit the toys last."  You get the idea....  I finally cave and head to the toy section with the hopes that a new toy will keep Rhylan occ...