Skip to main content

Navigating the World of Mom Friends

If you follow my social media or are a long-time reader of this blog, then you are aware that two years ago, we decided to make a major change and move out of Illinois. Moving to Missouri was a long-time dream and goal shared with my husband. So it was in August of 2020, that the opportunity found us when we weren't actively seeking it. It's funny how things work out, isn't it? And one thing is certain, I've grown to love our new hometown. Moving to a brand new town does come with its unique challenges, especially for moms. To name a few...

  • Not having any local connections.
  • Navigating a brand new school system (during a pandemic).
  • Overall uncertainty and moments of self-doubt. Did we make the right choice?
  • Realizing very quickly just how "clique-y" our new hometown is and wondering if I would fit in.
  • A crazy, strange and awkward situation (one that will remain unmentioned) that made me extra apprehensive to plant roots in our new hometown. If you are close friends with us, then you know exactly what I'm talking about! It's funny now. Back then, it left me saying "what on earth?" 

In a recent conversation with one of my longtime best friends, we discussed our experiences with navigating the world of mom friends. It didn't take long for us to discover that our individual experiences shared a lot of similarities. This got me thinking. We can't be the only ones!

What I'm about to share isn't meant to offend, criticize or place blame. What I'm about to share is my own experience (with a hint of hers) that I know other moms will relate to. 

If you've ever felt alone or isolated as a mom in your community, then this is for you. 

Mom friends. They can be your biggest advocates, a supportive system, encouragement and a much needed confidence boost. They can be your favorite cup of coffee, accountability partner or someone you regularly text. If you're like me (and this particular friend), you might speak to them on several different platforms simultaneously, yet somehow manage to keep each conversation separate. 

However, mom friends can feel like the most challenging thing in the world to find. You can be standing in a room full of fellow moms and still feel so alone. You can bravely put yourself out there, but to no avail. You can think you've connected with a fellow mom, only to receive zero response when reaching out. You can try to form a new bond, but it doesn’t work out. 

It can feel isolating. It can feel lonely. But when you finally make a genuine connection with a fellow mom, it can feel uplifting!  

When we decided to make the move to Missouri, there were my original mom friends who stuck by me and there were the mom friends who surprisingly did not. I also realized that I needed to find that level of support in my new hometown and I made it a goal. There were moments where I said "hello" only to be ignored. Ouch. There were those who I assumed would embrace me from crossing paths in early chapters of life. They did not. On the opposite side of the spectrum, there were the connections that happened 100% organically with no pressure and zero judgement. 

Those organic connections? Those are gold! You know who you are! 

As I took a deep dive into this particular topic and shared my thoughts with my friend, it not only helped to encourage her, but also reaffirmed my thoughts. I realize that we live in a judgmental society. It's unfortunate, but it's true. Social media has only amplified that (remember that you're only seeing the highlight reel). Things like "working mom" versus "stay-at-home mom" continue to divide a community that I believe should come together and lift each other up regardless of status. Just because I show up to a class party in corporate apparel and you're rocking your leggings (I'm jealous of that by the way), doesn't mean that I don't have the utmost respect for you! Our differing mom perspectives and circumstances could be very powerful when combined! Moms supporting moms. Moms creating change. That has a nice ring, doesn’t it?

I also encouraged her to just keep being herself (advice that I took to heart as I gave it). The best mom friend connections are completely organic and free of pressure. They happen out of the blue, whether it's in the parking lot of the school, spotting a mom with her hands full and offering a helping hand, at a class party, or at a community event. Whether it's one or two...or perhaps you've landed yourself in a local mom squad, you will find your people. It's important to have those mom connections to help each other out. Whether it's a reminder that school is not in session (I often need that one), or perhaps it's your day for snack duty....you need help with carpool, you are lost trying to find your way somewhere, you need advice that pertains to your hometown.....mom friends are an important part of this current chapter. 

Have you found yourself feeling at a loss when trying to make new mom connections? Let's start a dialogue! You will quickly realize that you are not alone. Here's to the long-time mom friends who continue to inspire us and to those we haven't even met yet! This one's for you! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Sitting Down?

That's the very question, I've asked anyone close to me before breaking our news. So are you sitting down?  Let's go back three days ago - 9:30 in the morning, I confidently walked into my doctor's office to talk about my 2nd pregnancy. I mean what was there to worry about? This isn't my first rodeo, ya know. I was cool, confident and collected. I was 9 weeks and 5 days along. I sat through the routine questions. You know, the ones where they ask you if you do club drugs? I talked to my doctor about what I've been experiencing, including frequent nausea and unbearable fatigue that literally knocks me out by 7:30 pm. I had already gained 8 pounds, which was shocking, because I've been eating well and working out. But the doctor was not concerned with that and said, "Let's take a look at your little one ."  I was so anxious to see that little bean with a flickering heart ever since I got that positive pregnancy test! So this was the moment,...

Shock - Acceptance - Excitement

I really want to share my thoughts during this journey for anyone who may have been in my shoes. And to reassure them that what they are feeling is perfectly normal (at least that's what I tell myself). Everyone handles big news differently. I chose to freak out and panic! Others are more like what you see on TV!  Either way, welcome to our crazy journey!  The next day, I walked into work and decided to let the big news out. I mean anyone walking by my desk must wonder what's going on. What they normally see is a woman who takes pride in her appearance. That day, that got a completely different version of me; makeup-less, sleep deprived and frightened. I'm having (choke) twins!  I decided to show the ultrasound photo of my babies (still getting used to saying and hearing babies). I was immediately swept up in excitement and joy! They could not have been happier for me. This is where I started to feel the tiniest bit better. They were thinking of names and talking a...

Seize the....Target Store?

Last weekend, I had the itch for a day trip. So along with my momma, we packed up my three kiddos and headed out of town to do some shopping. Now let me just say that in the morning as I got the kids fed, bathed and dressed; as I loaded up the car with anything that we could potentially need on our day out, my conscience told me to stay home. I should've listened...Target is just not the same with three little kids in tow. Here's a breakdown of Target with two toddlers and a five year old.  Rhylan: "Mom can we please go to the toys?"  Me: "You have to be a good boy through the entire store and then we will go visit the toys last."  Five seconds pass.... Rhylan: "Mom can we please go to the toys?"  Me: "You have to be a good boy through the entire store and then we will go visit the toys last."  You get the idea....  I finally cave and head to the toy section with the hopes that a new toy will keep Rhylan occ...