Skip to main content

"The Coolest Moms...."

This last weekend, I had the pleasure of taking just my son on a little weekend getaway to visit friends. I don't think his little five year old mind will ever grasp just how much that meant to me. Since having twins, it doesn't happen very often that we get that opportunity and I couldn't wait to spoil him a little bit on this trip. 

On the nearly three hour car ride, I got to pick his brain, listen to his thoughts and take his song requests. For the record, he requested his new favorite song "7 Years" by Lucas Graham and apparently he loves the new Fall Out Boy single (what?)! So we jammed out and sang along. I'd glance in the rear view mirror and watch the joy on his face as we sang along. My favorite quote from the ride down was "The coolest moms listen to Justin Bieber." That's right! This mom is a Belieber and I'm not ashamed of it! 

Anyone who knows Rhylan understands that being around him brings a never ending steam of chatter about anything and everything. This is from the moment he opens his eyes in the morning to the moment he closes them at night. But this time was different. At times, he drives me a little crazy with the chatter, but on our ride down and back, he told me all about his little five year old life. His dreams, some made up stories about sharks and whales and things he'd spot around the way. We played the alphabet game and I cracked up as he'd run through the alphabet song to figure out which letter was next. 

Though I felt the void of his missing sisters, I made a point to love on him and remind him just how special he is to me. I think since becoming a big brother, he needs that reminder every now and again, because I never want him to doubt it. On the ride home, he said "Thank you Mom." I said "What for?" and he answered with "for taking me on this trip." It was the sweetest thing and brought a little tear to my eye (see my prior blog on crying). As moms, our lives are consumed with so many tasks, but don't forget to take that time to make each of your babies feel loved and appreciated. 


Love you to the moon and back!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Sitting Down?

That's the very question, I've asked anyone close to me before breaking our news. So are you sitting down?  Let's go back three days ago - 9:30 in the morning, I confidently walked into my doctor's office to talk about my 2nd pregnancy. I mean what was there to worry about? This isn't my first rodeo, ya know. I was cool, confident and collected. I was 9 weeks and 5 days along. I sat through the routine questions. You know, the ones where they ask you if you do club drugs? I talked to my doctor about what I've been experiencing, including frequent nausea and unbearable fatigue that literally knocks me out by 7:30 pm. I had already gained 8 pounds, which was shocking, because I've been eating well and working out. But the doctor was not concerned with that and said, "Let's take a look at your little one ."  I was so anxious to see that little bean with a flickering heart ever since I got that positive pregnancy test! So this was the moment,...

Shock - Acceptance - Excitement

I really want to share my thoughts during this journey for anyone who may have been in my shoes. And to reassure them that what they are feeling is perfectly normal (at least that's what I tell myself). Everyone handles big news differently. I chose to freak out and panic! Others are more like what you see on TV!  Either way, welcome to our crazy journey!  The next day, I walked into work and decided to let the big news out. I mean anyone walking by my desk must wonder what's going on. What they normally see is a woman who takes pride in her appearance. That day, that got a completely different version of me; makeup-less, sleep deprived and frightened. I'm having (choke) twins!  I decided to show the ultrasound photo of my babies (still getting used to saying and hearing babies). I was immediately swept up in excitement and joy! They could not have been happier for me. This is where I started to feel the tiniest bit better. They were thinking of names and talking a...

10 Years

It goes without saying that a lot can change in just 10 (short) years. It's been 10 years since I graduated high school. It's made me really reflect on my life thus far and how I'm nowhere near the person I was back then. Back then I set huge goals for myself:  1. Go to College 2. Find a Husband 3. Travel the World 4. Get Married 5. Find a Career 6. Start a Family  I came from a small town full of people who either thought they were better than you, a class full of peers who always fought, several teachers who put us down instead of encouraging and a school board full of well-connected parents. All of that equals a recipe for disaster. It's had an effect on me that weighs well into my adult years. I tell people how much I disliked high school and they just can't believe it. Let me tell you how it has shaped me as a person and a parent.  I'm taking you back to my sophomore year. The assignment was to research colleges. This assignment excited me a...