Skip to main content

Embracing the KonMarie Way

I said I wouldn't do it. Heck I even cracked a joke or two about it while sarcastically saying "Does that bring you joy?" The truth of the matter is, the KonMarie way actually makes a lot of sense! I hadn't heard of Marie Kondo and I scrolled right past her show multiple times on Netflix. The next thing I knew "Marie Kondo" became a commonly used verb and the KonMarie way exploded all over social media. Therefore, I was intrigued.

In a way, I've always been a lot like Marie Kondo, just not as extreme. I get a lot of my cleanliness, organization and hatred for excessive clutter from my Dad. I am very thankful for those values instilled in me by our own personal "Mr. Clean," because growing up, he always made sure we had a clean and organized place to call home. From my college dorm room, to our first home, to the home we have now, I have always strived to keep it clean, organized and "tidy." Here's the thing though. The man I married is a keeper of stuff. I knew that before we said "I do" and I've always tried to push him outside of the emotional attachment he has to things and the "what if I need it someday" mentality.

Here's where things took a drastic turn. Brace yourselves. My husband watched the very first episode of Tidying Up and all of a sudden, it's like something clicked. I didn't even ask him to watch it. So I was very proud of him to say the least. The next thing you know he's going through his closet, his dresser, his stashes of random crap and we started to tackle our basement together. We've been talking about renovating our basement for years. YEARS. However when you continue to bring random things home, continue to store unnecessary things and never throw things away, it becomes impossible. The stuff literally takes over.

We started going through everything we own and getting rid of the excess. I could feel the neighborhood judgement when looking at the amount of garbage bags we sat out on trash day, but it felt so liberating! Seriously! Not only did the KonMarie way bring us together as a team rather than my constantly wishing it would all disappear, but we are making huge strides and both seeing the potential that we have in our home. It feels pretty darn good!

Here are a few things I've learned while embracing the KonMarie way.

1. Patience is a virtue. Unfortunately this isn't something that can be done in one day or a weekend. It is a gradual process that I don't feel will ever fully be complete.
2. My kids play with their toys more. Eliminating the millions of tiny pieces and the random items that they sifted through to find the toys they want to play with makes a huge difference.
3. I feel more at peace when I come home from work.
4. My husband has a newfound appreciation for clutter-free living. Thank goodness!
5. We've written down new goals for our home and it's incredibly motivating.
6. It's okay to let go of some of those sentimental items.
7. I find myself making far less impulse purchases for myself and my home.
8. It's a lot easier to clean house with less stuff.

Am I saying that Tidying Up will change your life? Nope. But I do think you should have an open mind to the idea and just watch that first episode! I'm very glad that we did and look forward to what's to come for our home and all of the newfound space we have to enjoy! Hello basement home gym!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Sitting Down?

That's the very question, I've asked anyone close to me before breaking our news. So are you sitting down?  Let's go back three days ago - 9:30 in the morning, I confidently walked into my doctor's office to talk about my 2nd pregnancy. I mean what was there to worry about? This isn't my first rodeo, ya know. I was cool, confident and collected. I was 9 weeks and 5 days along. I sat through the routine questions. You know, the ones where they ask you if you do club drugs? I talked to my doctor about what I've been experiencing, including frequent nausea and unbearable fatigue that literally knocks me out by 7:30 pm. I had already gained 8 pounds, which was shocking, because I've been eating well and working out. But the doctor was not concerned with that and said, "Let's take a look at your little one ."  I was so anxious to see that little bean with a flickering heart ever since I got that positive pregnancy test! So this was the moment,...

Shock - Acceptance - Excitement

I really want to share my thoughts during this journey for anyone who may have been in my shoes. And to reassure them that what they are feeling is perfectly normal (at least that's what I tell myself). Everyone handles big news differently. I chose to freak out and panic! Others are more like what you see on TV!  Either way, welcome to our crazy journey!  The next day, I walked into work and decided to let the big news out. I mean anyone walking by my desk must wonder what's going on. What they normally see is a woman who takes pride in her appearance. That day, that got a completely different version of me; makeup-less, sleep deprived and frightened. I'm having (choke) twins!  I decided to show the ultrasound photo of my babies (still getting used to saying and hearing babies). I was immediately swept up in excitement and joy! They could not have been happier for me. This is where I started to feel the tiniest bit better. They were thinking of names and talking a...

Seize the....Target Store?

Last weekend, I had the itch for a day trip. So along with my momma, we packed up my three kiddos and headed out of town to do some shopping. Now let me just say that in the morning as I got the kids fed, bathed and dressed; as I loaded up the car with anything that we could potentially need on our day out, my conscience told me to stay home. I should've listened...Target is just not the same with three little kids in tow. Here's a breakdown of Target with two toddlers and a five year old.  Rhylan: "Mom can we please go to the toys?"  Me: "You have to be a good boy through the entire store and then we will go visit the toys last."  Five seconds pass.... Rhylan: "Mom can we please go to the toys?"  Me: "You have to be a good boy through the entire store and then we will go visit the toys last."  You get the idea....  I finally cave and head to the toy section with the hopes that a new toy will keep Rhylan occ...