Skip to main content

"Valentimes" Traditions

When it comes to Valentine's Day, we typically think of long stem roses, date nights with your significant other and cheesy love stories! While those are all great aspects of February 14th, I think it's so important for us to recognize the other loves of our life. Our kids! 

You spend the holiday season doing all of the holiday things and then suddenly the dreary winter season is upon us with not much to look forward to until spring. Why not add in an extra reason to celebrate as a family? And that my friends is how our Zehnle Family Annual Valentimes Day came into existence. Every year our kids look forward to it and every year, it brings me joy to do it for them.

Why "valentimes" and not valentines you may ask? 

When our kids were little, they would always say "Valentimes Day." I think it's literally the cutest thing and I never had the heart to correct them. So it has remained the official title of our family celebration. We celebrate the growth of our family. We celebrate the good times and we make it an occasion. Life is too short and far too serious most days, so why not? I can't think of a reason. 

In year's past, we've always had heart shaped pizza and silly little gifts (those lovely Dollar Tree specials). However, this year Valentine's Day and Taco Tuesday happened to collide, so we ran with it. This year's theme was Taco 'Bout Love and we definitely owned it! 

Homemade Tacos 

A Taco Piñata

Laughter

Dessert

Family Movie

These were all simple ways to celebrate. Okay, the piñata might be a little extra, but what can I say? I love a good theme. Also, I am in fact extra. 

The kids had a blast bashing the piñata. I think they had some pent up feelings coming out in those swings. Here's where the hilarious fail (Epley Luck if you will. If you know you know.) happened. I never thought that the candy in the piñata would be destroyed, pouring out in a pile of sticky, hard candy dust and chunks. I just stood there dumbfounded. Not to mention, I splurged on high dollar candy kits from Amazon. The kids and I had a good laugh at our candy misfortune and I ordered replacement candy. It will be here on Thursday. 

As a result, I have now spent twice as much money on candy. The laughter and memories made this Valentimes Day? Priceless. 

Check out our TikTok video for a glimpse into the laughs! 

All of this to say, don't forget to the other loves of your life in Valentine's Days to come. The smallest gestures go such a long way in making them feel special. Also feel free to embrace the term "Valentimes," even though it's not politically correct. It's all about the hidden meanings behind it. Disconnect from the outside world. Stay at home. Celebrate the good times together as a family! 

Until next year....




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Sitting Down?

That's the very question, I've asked anyone close to me before breaking our news. So are you sitting down?  Let's go back three days ago - 9:30 in the morning, I confidently walked into my doctor's office to talk about my 2nd pregnancy. I mean what was there to worry about? This isn't my first rodeo, ya know. I was cool, confident and collected. I was 9 weeks and 5 days along. I sat through the routine questions. You know, the ones where they ask you if you do club drugs? I talked to my doctor about what I've been experiencing, including frequent nausea and unbearable fatigue that literally knocks me out by 7:30 pm. I had already gained 8 pounds, which was shocking, because I've been eating well and working out. But the doctor was not concerned with that and said, "Let's take a look at your little one ."  I was so anxious to see that little bean with a flickering heart ever since I got that positive pregnancy test! So this was the moment,...

Shock - Acceptance - Excitement

I really want to share my thoughts during this journey for anyone who may have been in my shoes. And to reassure them that what they are feeling is perfectly normal (at least that's what I tell myself). Everyone handles big news differently. I chose to freak out and panic! Others are more like what you see on TV!  Either way, welcome to our crazy journey!  The next day, I walked into work and decided to let the big news out. I mean anyone walking by my desk must wonder what's going on. What they normally see is a woman who takes pride in her appearance. That day, that got a completely different version of me; makeup-less, sleep deprived and frightened. I'm having (choke) twins!  I decided to show the ultrasound photo of my babies (still getting used to saying and hearing babies). I was immediately swept up in excitement and joy! They could not have been happier for me. This is where I started to feel the tiniest bit better. They were thinking of names and talking a...

Seize the....Target Store?

Last weekend, I had the itch for a day trip. So along with my momma, we packed up my three kiddos and headed out of town to do some shopping. Now let me just say that in the morning as I got the kids fed, bathed and dressed; as I loaded up the car with anything that we could potentially need on our day out, my conscience told me to stay home. I should've listened...Target is just not the same with three little kids in tow. Here's a breakdown of Target with two toddlers and a five year old.  Rhylan: "Mom can we please go to the toys?"  Me: "You have to be a good boy through the entire store and then we will go visit the toys last."  Five seconds pass.... Rhylan: "Mom can we please go to the toys?"  Me: "You have to be a good boy through the entire store and then we will go visit the toys last."  You get the idea....  I finally cave and head to the toy section with the hopes that a new toy will keep Rhylan occ...