Skip to main content

Blessings Not Burdens

This blog is a bit of a rant, so if you don't like that, I'd recommend that you do not continue. It's some thoughts that I just need to get off of my chest and I hope they can be an eye opener for some that really need to broaden their perspective. 

My sister and I went out of town to Christmas shop yesterday, which was a great day and a much needed escape from my house. Granted, I didn't mark a single person off of my shopping list! How does that happen? I still have a long road of holiday shopping ahead of me! I love this time of year, so I don't mind!

What I do mind is the absolute ignorance of much of the general public when they spot a multiple mom with her kids. I cannot wrap my head around why it's such a spectacle that must be commented on. Why are some people so negative and rude? I just want to be able to go out to eat, walk through the mall and keep to myself without any awful comments. 

I absolutely love those that are kind and congratulatory, but there are definitely some "bad seeds" out there. Most of the time, I can shrug it off, but I seriously do not get it. It's two babies. TWO BABIES! There are much crazier things in this world than a woman with two babies. During our lunch, the table next to us literally stared the entire time. I felt like I was being watched under a microscope as I fed my face. The girls were asleep for the entire time, so I don't understand why we needed to be watched to the point of being made uncomfortable. They finally spoke up with a "Wow you must be really tired..." to which I just chuckle and respond with how wonderful my babies are. 

People expect me to be miserable, tired and unhappy just because I have two babies? Why? There are plenty of other aspects in life that make one tired and miserable and for me, being a mother is the greatest blessing. I find myself looking down at them and thinking to myself just how beautiful they are and I wonder how on earth anyone could consider them a burden. It just breaks my heart sometimes. I often hear the "I couldn't do it" and "Glad it's you" and sometimes the "I'm sorry" phrases that can really be crushing. I just want to say to these people, "If you were given twins, would you really be able to choose which one to care for?" I don't think so! 

And don't ever assume that I am "done having kids" just because I had two at once. For the record, I am very much done having kids, but what gives a random stranger the audacity to assume. There are so many families with a lot of children and so many unfit parents who shouldn't be having kids or don't appreciate their children. Here I am, doing everything that I can to give my kids the absolute best care, beaming with love and you don't want me to have more kids just because I had a set of twins? 

And there's the condescending "Good luck!" Why can't people just walk by without speaking if they can't say nice things? I do get enjoyment out of the people tripping over themselves while staring in passing and the constant neck cranes. And no matter how girly they are dressed, there will always be those apparently blind people who ask if my pinked out girls are boys.

I spoke to another twin mom who was working in one of the stores and it was absolutely refreshing to speak with someone who's been there. She was so understanding and practically read my mind. It was like we were meant to chat. It's nice to hear from another person who I have a lot in common with. I really think we would be friends if we lived in the same town or had met somehow outside of the store. I wish her all the best with her twin boys.

I hold my head high and walk through the sea of stares with nothing but pride and I am so damn proud of my family. We are unbelievably blessed and I wish some could see my babies as just that. BLESSINGS! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Sitting Down?

That's the very question, I've asked anyone close to me before breaking our news. So are you sitting down?  Let's go back three days ago - 9:30 in the morning, I confidently walked into my doctor's office to talk about my 2nd pregnancy. I mean what was there to worry about? This isn't my first rodeo, ya know. I was cool, confident and collected. I was 9 weeks and 5 days along. I sat through the routine questions. You know, the ones where they ask you if you do club drugs? I talked to my doctor about what I've been experiencing, including frequent nausea and unbearable fatigue that literally knocks me out by 7:30 pm. I had already gained 8 pounds, which was shocking, because I've been eating well and working out. But the doctor was not concerned with that and said, "Let's take a look at your little one ."  I was so anxious to see that little bean with a flickering heart ever since I got that positive pregnancy test! So this was the moment,...

Shock - Acceptance - Excitement

I really want to share my thoughts during this journey for anyone who may have been in my shoes. And to reassure them that what they are feeling is perfectly normal (at least that's what I tell myself). Everyone handles big news differently. I chose to freak out and panic! Others are more like what you see on TV!  Either way, welcome to our crazy journey!  The next day, I walked into work and decided to let the big news out. I mean anyone walking by my desk must wonder what's going on. What they normally see is a woman who takes pride in her appearance. That day, that got a completely different version of me; makeup-less, sleep deprived and frightened. I'm having (choke) twins!  I decided to show the ultrasound photo of my babies (still getting used to saying and hearing babies). I was immediately swept up in excitement and joy! They could not have been happier for me. This is where I started to feel the tiniest bit better. They were thinking of names and talking a...

Seize the....Target Store?

Last weekend, I had the itch for a day trip. So along with my momma, we packed up my three kiddos and headed out of town to do some shopping. Now let me just say that in the morning as I got the kids fed, bathed and dressed; as I loaded up the car with anything that we could potentially need on our day out, my conscience told me to stay home. I should've listened...Target is just not the same with three little kids in tow. Here's a breakdown of Target with two toddlers and a five year old.  Rhylan: "Mom can we please go to the toys?"  Me: "You have to be a good boy through the entire store and then we will go visit the toys last."  Five seconds pass.... Rhylan: "Mom can we please go to the toys?"  Me: "You have to be a good boy through the entire store and then we will go visit the toys last."  You get the idea....  I finally cave and head to the toy section with the hopes that a new toy will keep Rhylan occ...