Skip to main content

Missing Moments

I've been thinking a lot lately about the society that we live in and how everyone is so incredibly focused on their cell phones, tablets, computers, email and social media in general. What did we do before Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and before smart phones? Sometimes I stop and look at my kids and think about how many moments we miss out on, because we are always looking down at our phones for a notification or staring at the computer for Facebook notifications. I'm even contradicting myself by sitting here writing this blog. 

Having added twins to my family, I find that I don't have as much time for social media, which I consider a good thing. When someone says, "Hey did you see that about so and so on Facebook?" My response is usually no. And to be honest, I am proud of that. Sometimes I really do wish that we could go back in time before smart phones, before instant gratification and back to the time when we had to physically speak to someone to get to know them. 

I feel like there are so many people who put such an emphasis on what they read on social media and I try not to be one of them. I also feel like there are people who watch my page too closely (I'm sure you have some of this as well) or some who try to put on a show through social media trying portray that they are someone that they are not. Now people can hide behind a text message, email or private message rather than having an honest conversation, which can be very hurtful in certain situations.

Why am I writing this? It's not at all to offend anyone, but it's a personal reminder to myself to really stop, take a breath and to realize how truly blessed that I am. Don't let life pass you by while staring at a computer screen or the palm of your hand. Don't get me wrong as I love checking up on the outside world and I would no longer keep in touch with so many people without Facebook, but what would we do if we woke up one day and social media no longer existed?? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Sitting Down?

That's the very question, I've asked anyone close to me before breaking our news. So are you sitting down?  Let's go back three days ago - 9:30 in the morning, I confidently walked into my doctor's office to talk about my 2nd pregnancy. I mean what was there to worry about? This isn't my first rodeo, ya know. I was cool, confident and collected. I was 9 weeks and 5 days along. I sat through the routine questions. You know, the ones where they ask you if you do club drugs? I talked to my doctor about what I've been experiencing, including frequent nausea and unbearable fatigue that literally knocks me out by 7:30 pm. I had already gained 8 pounds, which was shocking, because I've been eating well and working out. But the doctor was not concerned with that and said, "Let's take a look at your little one ."  I was so anxious to see that little bean with a flickering heart ever since I got that positive pregnancy test! So this was the moment,...

Shock - Acceptance - Excitement

I really want to share my thoughts during this journey for anyone who may have been in my shoes. And to reassure them that what they are feeling is perfectly normal (at least that's what I tell myself). Everyone handles big news differently. I chose to freak out and panic! Others are more like what you see on TV!  Either way, welcome to our crazy journey!  The next day, I walked into work and decided to let the big news out. I mean anyone walking by my desk must wonder what's going on. What they normally see is a woman who takes pride in her appearance. That day, that got a completely different version of me; makeup-less, sleep deprived and frightened. I'm having (choke) twins!  I decided to show the ultrasound photo of my babies (still getting used to saying and hearing babies). I was immediately swept up in excitement and joy! They could not have been happier for me. This is where I started to feel the tiniest bit better. They were thinking of names and talking a...

Seize the....Target Store?

Last weekend, I had the itch for a day trip. So along with my momma, we packed up my three kiddos and headed out of town to do some shopping. Now let me just say that in the morning as I got the kids fed, bathed and dressed; as I loaded up the car with anything that we could potentially need on our day out, my conscience told me to stay home. I should've listened...Target is just not the same with three little kids in tow. Here's a breakdown of Target with two toddlers and a five year old.  Rhylan: "Mom can we please go to the toys?"  Me: "You have to be a good boy through the entire store and then we will go visit the toys last."  Five seconds pass.... Rhylan: "Mom can we please go to the toys?"  Me: "You have to be a good boy through the entire store and then we will go visit the toys last."  You get the idea....  I finally cave and head to the toy section with the hopes that a new toy will keep Rhylan occ...