Skip to main content

Maxxinista Meltdown

We've all been there. We've all been "that mom" in a public place where one of those famous epic meltdowns takes place. A few days ago, that was me and it happened at one of my all-time favorite places to escape. A place where no meltdown should ever happen, because it is the ultimate mom escape. You guessed it...TJ Maxx. What started out as fun one-on-one time for me and my little girl, suddenly spiraled into us at the front of the store, Everly having a fit and me taking on the role of "that mom" while trying to remain 100% calm as I felt the watchful eyes of my fellow maxxinistas.

Let me just start by saying DAMN YOU TOY SECTION. I feel like I've gotten pretty good at finding alternative routes around stores in order to avoid the toys. However in this instance, Everly's favorite section, the dress section, happens to be located right across from the dreaded toy section. There we stood, looking through the dresses, picking out a sparkly unicorn dress that seemed to meet Everly's standards of twirliness. We start to walk away and within seconds she feasts her eyes on a bright red toy cash register and is convinced that she has to have it.

When my kids have these freak out moments in public, I always have this sense of calm that comes over me. Honestly, what is freaking out with them going to get me? Nothing short of an even worse meltdown and my feeling mom guilt later. In my calm tone of voice, I start trying to reason with Everly who at this point has her new dress and a makeup pallet in our cart. She is not having it. I proceed to tell her (all the while she is screaming) that we cannot act that way in a store and will have to leave our items behind and head for home. Wrong answer. She proceeded to cry louder, tell me she doesn't like me and grip the cart, from which she is too heavy for me to forcefully lift out and carry to my car.

I felt like hours passed while I continued to reason with her, only because of my inability to physically force her out of the cart. She wasn't buying into any of my reasoning as to why she couldn't take that bright red cash register home. Even the fact that she already has a Minnie Mouse cash register as well as the Little Tykes Grocery Store at home wasn't enough. In her four year old mind, she didn't have THAT cash register.

Sometimes it is so incredibly hard as a parent to explain situations such as these in a way that the four year old brain will comprehend and agree with. You can explain it until you are out of breath or blue in the face, but sometimes those emotions just get the best of them. I asked Everly if we could step outside, get some fresh air and perhaps we could walk back in to the store and start over. She wasn't having that either. She was determined to take that register home. Finally she started to tire out. I managed to coax her out of the cart. Honestly, I don't even remember what I said, but she did let me pack her out of the store. We left our goodies behind and she cried her little eyes out the entire walk across the parking lot. She even tried her very best to stop crying so she could go back in and get her dress. That broke my heart a little bit, but this momma had to remain strong.

There is a moral lesson to this story. All the while I was standing there reasoning with a wailing four year old, there were several mothers who walked by and complimented me for keeping it together. One even patted me on the back and said "you've got this momma." Random strangers were taking notice and complimenting me, because they too had been "that mom" at one time or another. Sometimes things happen that restore your faith in humanity. Like many of the fellow moms I encounter on social media, there they were; right there in T.J. Maxx swooping in and cheering me on when I expected judgement.

So for this experience, I will always be thankful and best believe that I will return the favor the next time I see "that mom" trying her best to keep it together. We've got this mommas and we truly are in this together. #momlife is the best life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Sitting Down?

That's the very question, I've asked anyone close to me before breaking our news. So are you sitting down?  Let's go back three days ago - 9:30 in the morning, I confidently walked into my doctor's office to talk about my 2nd pregnancy. I mean what was there to worry about? This isn't my first rodeo, ya know. I was cool, confident and collected. I was 9 weeks and 5 days along. I sat through the routine questions. You know, the ones where they ask you if you do club drugs? I talked to my doctor about what I've been experiencing, including frequent nausea and unbearable fatigue that literally knocks me out by 7:30 pm. I had already gained 8 pounds, which was shocking, because I've been eating well and working out. But the doctor was not concerned with that and said, "Let's take a look at your little one ."  I was so anxious to see that little bean with a flickering heart ever since I got that positive pregnancy test! So this was the moment,...

Shock - Acceptance - Excitement

I really want to share my thoughts during this journey for anyone who may have been in my shoes. And to reassure them that what they are feeling is perfectly normal (at least that's what I tell myself). Everyone handles big news differently. I chose to freak out and panic! Others are more like what you see on TV!  Either way, welcome to our crazy journey!  The next day, I walked into work and decided to let the big news out. I mean anyone walking by my desk must wonder what's going on. What they normally see is a woman who takes pride in her appearance. That day, that got a completely different version of me; makeup-less, sleep deprived and frightened. I'm having (choke) twins!  I decided to show the ultrasound photo of my babies (still getting used to saying and hearing babies). I was immediately swept up in excitement and joy! They could not have been happier for me. This is where I started to feel the tiniest bit better. They were thinking of names and talking a...

Seize the....Target Store?

Last weekend, I had the itch for a day trip. So along with my momma, we packed up my three kiddos and headed out of town to do some shopping. Now let me just say that in the morning as I got the kids fed, bathed and dressed; as I loaded up the car with anything that we could potentially need on our day out, my conscience told me to stay home. I should've listened...Target is just not the same with three little kids in tow. Here's a breakdown of Target with two toddlers and a five year old.  Rhylan: "Mom can we please go to the toys?"  Me: "You have to be a good boy through the entire store and then we will go visit the toys last."  Five seconds pass.... Rhylan: "Mom can we please go to the toys?"  Me: "You have to be a good boy through the entire store and then we will go visit the toys last."  You get the idea....  I finally cave and head to the toy section with the hopes that a new toy will keep Rhylan occ...