Skip to main content

Juggling Two - What I Learned In Our First Week

We've officially made it through our first week as twin parents! I thought bringing these two bundles home was going to be the challenge of a lifetime! I built it up in my head as an image of me covered in spit up, both babies screaming and me, their mom, unable to keep up! All I've heard over the last 9 months is how challenging and hard it's going to be or how I'm going to have my hands full. 

Well, I don't know if it's because I've already raised one baby or call it my motherly instinct, but this transition has been absolutely wonderful! I'd be lying if I haven't had a few good cries over this last week. After all, when your family jumps to five as quickly as ours did, it can definitely be overwhelming! But I really feel like we were made to care for these twin girls and big brother. I still feel like me, but with so much more love! I look at my two new girls and all I can feel is an overwhelming sense of love, joy and amazement at the fact that we created them. It's so incredible! Plus I've already cared for one newborn and applying the skills to two has been pretty adaptable. 

Our first night, Michael and I thought it would be wise to have the girls sleep separately. WRONG! It was a very rough night to say the least. Neither baby slept a wink and Michael and I were suddenly wondering how on earth we were going to handle the next several months with zero sleep. In the hospital, the babies slept together. We decided to give it a try. So at about 4 a.m., we swaddled each baby, placed them side by side in one of the cribs, tucked another blanket across the top of them and those two slept like angels! It's amazing the bond that they share. Michael and I got to rest and our babies did too. So my first bit of advice for first-time twin parents and perhaps the biggest difference between bringing one baby home compared to two, is that these girls love to do everything together. They are already so synchronized! 

Emersyn and Everly eat, sleep, wake up, need diaper changes and snuggles around the same time. The closeness that they share inside the womb definitely can be seen outside. My second piece of advice is to practice, practice, practice juggling two babies while you have help! It's scary at first learning to pick up, hold and nurse two babies at one time. They of course lack any kind of head support as newborns, so this can be very tricky at first. We've been home for a week and I am just now getting some confidence in the everyday juggling! Let me tell you, there is nothing like snuggling two little babies at once and having them lay on your chest or curl up in your arms. 

Big brother Rhylan has adjusted to his new siblings and loves helping! He likes to feel like he is involved and a part of the routine. I love when he brings them a blanket, gives them kisses, asks to hold them or wants them to "watch" Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with him. I was really worried about how this transition would go. After all, for almost 4 years, it's always been me and my little man! I'm looking forward to our special moments together whether it's night time stories, a trip to the ice cream shop or Panera for a "nuffin". 

We had our first family outing to take the girls to the doctor. All I can say is get up early and get going to get out the door on time! We had to be at Hannibal Clinic by 10 and I started getting the family ready around 7. We didn't have to stress or rush, which was nice when we were loading up the car with plenty of time to spare. Organize everything the night before and then you can grab and go! 

I'm looking forward to the weeks to come! It's still weird to wrap my head around being home from work until January 2nd. I'm very grateful for my extended leave from work to raise these girls and spend time with Rhylan. It's a time that will go by entirely too fast and one that I will always cherish and never forget. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Sitting Down?

That's the very question, I've asked anyone close to me before breaking our news. So are you sitting down?  Let's go back three days ago - 9:30 in the morning, I confidently walked into my doctor's office to talk about my 2nd pregnancy. I mean what was there to worry about? This isn't my first rodeo, ya know. I was cool, confident and collected. I was 9 weeks and 5 days along. I sat through the routine questions. You know, the ones where they ask you if you do club drugs? I talked to my doctor about what I've been experiencing, including frequent nausea and unbearable fatigue that literally knocks me out by 7:30 pm. I had already gained 8 pounds, which was shocking, because I've been eating well and working out. But the doctor was not concerned with that and said, "Let's take a look at your little one ."  I was so anxious to see that little bean with a flickering heart ever since I got that positive pregnancy test! So this was the moment,...

Shock - Acceptance - Excitement

I really want to share my thoughts during this journey for anyone who may have been in my shoes. And to reassure them that what they are feeling is perfectly normal (at least that's what I tell myself). Everyone handles big news differently. I chose to freak out and panic! Others are more like what you see on TV!  Either way, welcome to our crazy journey!  The next day, I walked into work and decided to let the big news out. I mean anyone walking by my desk must wonder what's going on. What they normally see is a woman who takes pride in her appearance. That day, that got a completely different version of me; makeup-less, sleep deprived and frightened. I'm having (choke) twins!  I decided to show the ultrasound photo of my babies (still getting used to saying and hearing babies). I was immediately swept up in excitement and joy! They could not have been happier for me. This is where I started to feel the tiniest bit better. They were thinking of names and talking a...

Seize the....Target Store?

Last weekend, I had the itch for a day trip. So along with my momma, we packed up my three kiddos and headed out of town to do some shopping. Now let me just say that in the morning as I got the kids fed, bathed and dressed; as I loaded up the car with anything that we could potentially need on our day out, my conscience told me to stay home. I should've listened...Target is just not the same with three little kids in tow. Here's a breakdown of Target with two toddlers and a five year old.  Rhylan: "Mom can we please go to the toys?"  Me: "You have to be a good boy through the entire store and then we will go visit the toys last."  Five seconds pass.... Rhylan: "Mom can we please go to the toys?"  Me: "You have to be a good boy through the entire store and then we will go visit the toys last."  You get the idea....  I finally cave and head to the toy section with the hopes that a new toy will keep Rhylan occ...