Skip to main content

The Home Stretch

It seems like just yesterday that we announced our twin pregnancy and shocked our family and friends. Now approaching 32 weeks as of Wednesday, I am grasping the fact that we are officially on the home stretch of this twin pregnancy. We actually have a hard deadline for if the girls do not come on their own. However, we've chosen to keep this date under wraps for two reasons. First, we really hope that they choose to come on their own. Second, we don't want anyone to know when we are in the hospital having these girls. This is our last pregnancy experience and we truly want to take it all in and focus on bringing two healthy girls into the world without outside distractions. 

We are officially ready for them whenever they decide to come. Their room is fully stocked, set up and ready to go! They officially have a place to eat and sleep whenever they arrive. It's hard to believe how far we've come. My doctor said that most of her twins come on their own around 36 weeks. I'm hoping for that outcome as 36 weeks is when they reach their peak lung development. If they decide to come before 34 weeks, they will do anything that they can to stop labor, but if they do arrive, there is a great chance, that everything will be just fine with them. So it's really a waiting game from here on out. 

My weekly appointments have been going well, though we've learned just how stubborn our little Baby A is! She has remained in the breech position, which means that my chances of having a c-section delivery are very high. There is still some time for her to turn, but the more crowded they get, the less likely it is that she will be able to turn. I really hope to have a natural delivery, but I am coming to terms with the fact that it may not be realistic. I always prayed to never have a c-section, but there are definitely pros and cons to both birthing options. Having been through one natural birth, I can say that not having to labor would be pretty nice! However, recovering from major surgery while caring for newborn twins sounds extremely challenging. I know that God will take care of me and our little family no matter what the outcome. 

Another aspect of the home stretch that is pretty comical is the fact that these baby girls are sticking out like crazy! There's just absolutely no way to contain them now. And I get a huge laugh out of the people who find it necessary to stare/gawk at my growing belly! A lot of people don't even look at me in the face. I don't understand why it's such a spectacle, but it is. I visited my hometown for their picnic/festival and couldn't help but notice/feel the constant stares. YES I'm pregnant! Go ahead and stare, because I couldn't be more proud of the fact that we are about to welcome two little girls! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Sitting Down?

That's the very question, I've asked anyone close to me before breaking our news. So are you sitting down?  Let's go back three days ago - 9:30 in the morning, I confidently walked into my doctor's office to talk about my 2nd pregnancy. I mean what was there to worry about? This isn't my first rodeo, ya know. I was cool, confident and collected. I was 9 weeks and 5 days along. I sat through the routine questions. You know, the ones where they ask you if you do club drugs? I talked to my doctor about what I've been experiencing, including frequent nausea and unbearable fatigue that literally knocks me out by 7:30 pm. I had already gained 8 pounds, which was shocking, because I've been eating well and working out. But the doctor was not concerned with that and said, "Let's take a look at your little one ."  I was so anxious to see that little bean with a flickering heart ever since I got that positive pregnancy test! So this was the moment,...

Shock - Acceptance - Excitement

I really want to share my thoughts during this journey for anyone who may have been in my shoes. And to reassure them that what they are feeling is perfectly normal (at least that's what I tell myself). Everyone handles big news differently. I chose to freak out and panic! Others are more like what you see on TV!  Either way, welcome to our crazy journey!  The next day, I walked into work and decided to let the big news out. I mean anyone walking by my desk must wonder what's going on. What they normally see is a woman who takes pride in her appearance. That day, that got a completely different version of me; makeup-less, sleep deprived and frightened. I'm having (choke) twins!  I decided to show the ultrasound photo of my babies (still getting used to saying and hearing babies). I was immediately swept up in excitement and joy! They could not have been happier for me. This is where I started to feel the tiniest bit better. They were thinking of names and talking a...

10 Years

It goes without saying that a lot can change in just 10 (short) years. It's been 10 years since I graduated high school. It's made me really reflect on my life thus far and how I'm nowhere near the person I was back then. Back then I set huge goals for myself:  1. Go to College 2. Find a Husband 3. Travel the World 4. Get Married 5. Find a Career 6. Start a Family  I came from a small town full of people who either thought they were better than you, a class full of peers who always fought, several teachers who put us down instead of encouraging and a school board full of well-connected parents. All of that equals a recipe for disaster. It's had an effect on me that weighs well into my adult years. I tell people how much I disliked high school and they just can't believe it. Let me tell you how it has shaped me as a person and a parent.  I'm taking you back to my sophomore year. The assignment was to research colleges. This assignment excited me a...