Skip to main content

Soccer Mom Style

Today's the day. It's the day I've long avoided ever since that March day in 2014 when I learned that not only was I expecting twins, but I also had to part with my beautiful, pearly white Toyota Prius. Now anyone who knows me knows that I absolutely adored that car. Actually "adored" isn't the right word. I was obsessed with my Prius. Call me materialistic. You know what? I am in some ways, but aren't we all? 

I left the hospital on that day determined to avoid the minivan. I mean hip moms don't drive minivans, right? Fast forward to a few weeks later when we drove home in our brand new SUV. I wasn't excited to drive that sucker home, even if it was shiny and had new car smell. It wasn't my Prius. It solved the space problem though, or so I thought. That is until our babies actually came, along with all of the STUFF that babies require to leave the house. We quickly learned that the SUV, wasn't going to cut it. Thankfully we leased it. And now that lease has come to an end. I've had three years of driving that SUV to come to terms with the fact that I was destined to become a true soccer mom and so.... 

It's official. Today's the day. My soccer mom mobile has arrived. I won't say I'm thrilled. Not "Prius thrilled" anyway. BUT that thing sure does have the space that our family needs. It's comfortable, has an entertainment system, stow and go features and did I mention the cupholders? Hello tailgating! 

I like to think that I'm still "hip" in a new way. I may be seen sporting larger sunglasses as I drive around town, but my kids are thrilled, which means that I am thrilled. My Prius days will return some day and I know that I will be longing to have my minivan days back when that time comes, so for now I'm just going to savor these moments (and drive thru Starbucks)! 

With that being said, here's to my next mom chapter. I'm going to call it Soccer Mom Style and I plan to rock it! Kids - check! Stroller - check! Diaper bag - check! Seatbelts - check! Coffee - check! Sunglasses - check! Let's Roll! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Sitting Down?

That's the very question, I've asked anyone close to me before breaking our news. So are you sitting down?  Let's go back three days ago - 9:30 in the morning, I confidently walked into my doctor's office to talk about my 2nd pregnancy. I mean what was there to worry about? This isn't my first rodeo, ya know. I was cool, confident and collected. I was 9 weeks and 5 days along. I sat through the routine questions. You know, the ones where they ask you if you do club drugs? I talked to my doctor about what I've been experiencing, including frequent nausea and unbearable fatigue that literally knocks me out by 7:30 pm. I had already gained 8 pounds, which was shocking, because I've been eating well and working out. But the doctor was not concerned with that and said, "Let's take a look at your little one ."  I was so anxious to see that little bean with a flickering heart ever since I got that positive pregnancy test! So this was the moment,...

Shock - Acceptance - Excitement

I really want to share my thoughts during this journey for anyone who may have been in my shoes. And to reassure them that what they are feeling is perfectly normal (at least that's what I tell myself). Everyone handles big news differently. I chose to freak out and panic! Others are more like what you see on TV!  Either way, welcome to our crazy journey!  The next day, I walked into work and decided to let the big news out. I mean anyone walking by my desk must wonder what's going on. What they normally see is a woman who takes pride in her appearance. That day, that got a completely different version of me; makeup-less, sleep deprived and frightened. I'm having (choke) twins!  I decided to show the ultrasound photo of my babies (still getting used to saying and hearing babies). I was immediately swept up in excitement and joy! They could not have been happier for me. This is where I started to feel the tiniest bit better. They were thinking of names and talking a...

10 Years

It goes without saying that a lot can change in just 10 (short) years. It's been 10 years since I graduated high school. It's made me really reflect on my life thus far and how I'm nowhere near the person I was back then. Back then I set huge goals for myself:  1. Go to College 2. Find a Husband 3. Travel the World 4. Get Married 5. Find a Career 6. Start a Family  I came from a small town full of people who either thought they were better than you, a class full of peers who always fought, several teachers who put us down instead of encouraging and a school board full of well-connected parents. All of that equals a recipe for disaster. It's had an effect on me that weighs well into my adult years. I tell people how much I disliked high school and they just can't believe it. Let me tell you how it has shaped me as a person and a parent.  I'm taking you back to my sophomore year. The assignment was to research colleges. This assignment excited me a...