Skip to main content

No One Prepared Me for This

This is the part of motherhood that I feel no one prepared me for. Perhaps you can't really be prepared at all. I didn't think it would happen as quickly as it did. 

I'm talking about the day you wake up and your firstborn child is looking you in the eye and well on the way to surpassing your height. Can we not? 

Seriously! 

Sending Rhylan to middle school last year was a very tough concept to grasp. I've come to terms with being the mother of a middle schooler. I mean...what choice do I have? In doing so, I've had a front row seat to extraordinary growth (and I'm not just talking about physically). I've watched him overcome so much. Whether it was constant encounters with a bully (no one prepares you for that either), watching him navigate tough decisions, strengthening his sportsmanship or taking accountability... I'm constantly amazed by him. Last year was fifth grade. He seemed like a baby walking into that giant middle school. We're currently immersed in the world of sixth grade and he's just grown so much. 

2010 was the year he first made me a mom and it was in that year, that it seemed he'd be little forever. That is not the case! Before I knew it, I woke up one day and his adorable baby blue eyes were looking directly into mine. I realized that holy moly....this kiddo is going to pass me up soon. Those little boy innocent moments, those little boy hugs, those moments where he called me "mommy" are all a sensory memory. The daily hugs are still very much there. However, they just hit differently these days. 

Because I became a mom at age 23, I feel like we've literally grown up together. I recall watching my own parents navigate life when I was his age, without realizing that I was witnessing them doing the same. Perhaps I'm just feeling some sort of emotional way this week. Maybe it's because my sister just welcomed a new baby boy that I'm far more aware of just how grown up my once baby boy is. Either way, I am not ready to close the door on little boy Rhylan. However, I'm very much loving the young man he is becoming. He's already had to overcome so much in this fast paced world, but he does so in a way that makes me very proud. I don't expect him to be perfect. I want him to make mistakes. At the same time, I want him to feel that he can talk to me about anything. 

From that little baby boy, to the suddenly 12 year old preteen....the hugs feel like grown up hugs, he no longer calls me mommy and I carry a brand new kind of worry on his behalf these days. One thing is certain. I will always be a safe space, even when I'm the one looking up at him. But goodness no one prepared me for this. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Taking Care of Me

For me, 2023 has been a year of conquering fears and making lifestyle changes. As parents, how often do we place ourselves on the back burner? It's so common and I am 100% guilty of it. This year, something inside of me clicked. Maybe it's the whole "wisdom with age" thing. Maybe it's finally getting the courage to go to therapy. Perhaps, it's a little bit of both. For me, it happened with a 3-step plan. It's a plan that terrified me, but I held myself accountable and put the plan into action.  Step 1: Medical Health January 2023, the 4th to be exact, started with a wellness visit to my primary care doctor. Was I even allowed to refer to her as that when I hadn't paid her a visit since 2018? Yes. 2018. Of course, we had the whole pandemic thing in the mix, but we can only use that excuse for so long. I hadn't had a women's well check since 2018. I was having all kinds of strange symptoms, that I told myself was just the downward spiral to 40 (n

Hashi-Huh?

The feeling of being trapped in your own body as it spirals out of control....how many of you have felt that way? I started 2023 in the doctor's office to talk about the crazy symptoms I had been experiencing (yet trying to deny) for the last year. Here's a run-down of the hot mess-ness that I found all consuming for far too long: Hair Loss Uncontrollable Weight Gain Debilitating Fatigue  Joint & Muscle Pain Terrible Menstrual Cycles Sensitivity to Cold Anxiety and Depression I remember absolutely cringing inside as I put this laundry list of front of my doctor. My inner narrative (this is something I'm still working on) can be so harsh and I had myself convinced that I was being a baby and needed to suck it up. However, "suck it up" was no longer an option. My TSH levels indicated a thyroid issue, which was commonly linked to the list of symptoms I presented. The first diagnosis was that of Hypothyroid Disorder and I was immediately put on Levothyroxin.  Mont

I Hate This.

It's taken me years to finally get the courage to address several areas of my own well-being. It all started with a trip to the doctor during the first week of January. I received so much insight into issues I've been experiencing and problems that I had been choosing to ignore. I've been on medications for over a month and I truly feel like a brand new version of me.  Growing up, medication was something that was frowned upon and feared in our household. Once I became a parent, my entire perspective shifted. I knew that I would do anything in my power to give my children relief from whatever they may be experiencing. From everyday colds, to the flu, ear infections and even a journey into Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis , we've overcome a lot....thanks to modern medicine. However, there is one particular person who was left behind in this journey.  Me.  How often have we kept ourselves on the back burner as moms? How many times have we made appointments for our kids, tak